Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Loss

This morning I headed out to the county early to help my grandma and parents with their garage sale.

I was being unusually energetic when I arrived and walked over, only to be told straight away that the bad news had come in about an hour ago. My aunt, who had been ill and then moved into a place for full time care, had passed away. We continued with the garage sale, if a little awkwardly, having had everything all set up and advertised and already being there.

She was awesome. She was what I think of as a needed balance in our family here, serving as the foil to our matriarch. She and my uncle had a strong commitment to their faith, and when I was doing the christian thing, we bonded over that. (Oh, I can't find a way of making it sound less demeaning. Argh. You know what I mean. I'm not bitter.)

She made health a priority, and occasionally we'd hear her displeasure with how overweight various members of the family were. I went to help move some things out of her room, and was pleasantly surprised to find that she had been enjoying Cracker Jacks (a childhood favorite, I bet, too) in her last few months.

That's about as much as I'm going to say here. I have to head out - Wal is hitting five movies in the film festival today. I'm going to a different one at a conflicting time (which I need to get going to catch), and then meeting up for the last one.

2 comments:

Red said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Hey my love.

Sorry I didn't say more about this when we were actually together. Didn't want to question you on the already bad day.

From the post, she sounds like a lovely person and you do have good memories of the two of you together. May you cherish them always.

Hope things went well with the family-ness.

Happiness always,
Em